Thank You for Your Interest!
Westchester Lutheran School is a JK-8th grade school, servicing the Westchester Community for over 60 years We offer our students a well-rounded educational program that brings together project-based learning, arts, sports and Christianity in a supporting and loving environment.
We are always looking for experienced teaching and staff professionals to join our community. We offer a variety of benefits including health, dental, vision, vacation and sick time.
All positions will be open until filled. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to:
Westchester Lutheran School
c/o Search Committee
7831 S Sepulveda Blvd
Los Angeles, CA90045
Westchester Lutheran is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Principal of Day School
The Principal of Westchester Lutheran School (“WLS”), a mission of Westchester Lutheran Church (“WLC”), is responsible for the development and implementation of instructional programs for preschool through eighth grade.
In this position, the Principal will foster an atmosphere that promotes the development of successful students at every level, creating well-rounded students who excel in academics and spiritual formation upon graduation from eighth grade. S/he will supervise the school’s leadership team, faculty, and office staff, and will work collaboratively with the Day School Commission (“DSC”), while reporting directly to the Westchester Lutheran Church Council (“WLCC”).
The Principal contributes to a culture of excellence by fulfilling the following key responsibilities:
- Develop academic goals, and design, implement, and oversee an academic program which fulfills the mission of Westchester Lutheran Church and School
- Create the staffing plan, hire and manage faculty and staff in conjunction with the DSC, and maintain faculty and staff discipline, in conjunction with the DSC and the WLCC
- Supervise instructional planning and implementation of all school programs, and observe classes on a regular basis to ensure best practices in teaching, child development, and educational technology
- Establish schoolwide professional development goals, and implement appropriate training in instructional methods through internal and external resources
- Maintain school accreditation (e.g., WASC) and ensure compliance with all required reporting and regulations
- Develop and manage student policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, enrollment, attendance, discipline, placement, as well as health and safety
- Collaborate with all key faculty leaders to develop and implement curriculum which ensures academic readiness at every transition point from pre-school to graduation from WLS
- Develop an annual school budget, and monitor income, expenditures, and cash flow in conjunction with the WLC Treasurer
- Plan, coordinate, and/or support extra-curricular programs and special events including, but not limited to: music, athletics, fairs and carnivals, awards ceremonies and graduations, after-school clubs, and musicals, plays, and Christmas programs
- Communicate effectively with current and prospective students and parents, teachers, support staff, community members, Parent Support Organization, and DSC
- Advance the community profile of WLS
The candidate should hold a Master’s Degree in Education or a related field from an accredited college or university, and have no less than five years’ experience in elementary education leadership and three years’ experience in classroom teaching. A Single or Multiple Subject CLEAR Credential and an Administrative Services CLEAR Credential are also required; California credentials are preferred.
The candidate must be willing to represent the core tenets of the Lutheran faith in values, actions, and teaching.
Successful completion of a background check is required. Compensation is dependent on experience. There is a 12-month work schedule, paid vacation, and retirement and health benefit
To fully consider your application, we must receive the following information by January 22, 2018:
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee
- Personal Statement or Statement of Educational and Religious Philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone number and email address)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Application deadline: January 22, 2018
Application materials are to be sent electronically via email, as a single WORD document or PDF the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills required for this position, and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of Westchester Lutheran Church and School. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in performance of a job, those duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.
Equal Employment Opportunity
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, we will recruit, hire, train and promote faculty and staff without regard to an individual's race, color, sex, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, and physical or mental disability (whether perceived or actual), or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.